Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Place of Refuge - Vivian Dippold

There’s nothing like floating in warm clear waters looking up at the billowing clouds on a background of the clearest blue. There is the white sandy beach with only a few multi-colored umbrellas with no one under them. It has to be my Euphoria. It is the place I crave the most.

It has been over three years since my husband of 44 years and I began the cancer journey. In that time he has had two bouts of cancer – prostate and rectal. And due to the cancers, he has suffered through the anxiety of an early retirement which brought about lingering emotional distress. It has been a tough, arduous journey. And, it still continues.

My refuge is that serene place of quiet contemplation where the clouds meet the horizon, where the sun shines brightly and warms the water. I place my head back and sing songs of praise to my Creator. I relax knowing that the One who made all of this surely knows my name and He cares about me.

In all of our distress, there has to be a Place of Refuge, a place where all is well. Not only is my refuge cradled in an empty beach, clear warm water, and a sky of white billowing clouds but it is more so in the strong enveloping arms of the One who created all that beauty. This is where I know all is well.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being willing to write from your heart and your pain. When we learn to wait patiently for Christ it is a sign of our own maturity that exist because at some point we KNOW that we will hear Him say, "Peace be still."

    ReplyDelete